Friday, November 18, 2011

Hear My Song, and Hear My Heart


Music calls to my soul like very few things can. Berthold Auerbach said, "music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life." Berthold Auerbach was a German-Jewish poet who lived in the 1800s, and from this quote I know he is a kindred spirit. No matter what mood I'm in--dark, light, happy, frustrated, totally apathetic--music calls to me and awakens something right next to my heart. It is almost like I'm going through life in a black, gray, and white state, and then I hear something beautiful and suddenly I can see and appreciate colors again. All music strikes something in me--I think this is why I tend to lean towards happy, beautiful, thoughtful, and witty music. It isn't that angry music doesn't do anything for me, it's that it reminds me of everything I could be bitter about. I try to stay away from feelings of worthlessness and hopelessness, but these thoughts are just too overwhelming when I hear unhappy music. It wakes me, but it wakes my fears, angers, and lost hopes. So, instead I listen to He is We and Owl City. Naturally not all of my music is happy go lucky--actually some of my favorite songs are also the most tragic ones I've heard, like Too Beautiful, Radio, or Kiss it all Better by He is We, or Fin by Anberlin, or the Highwayman by Loreena Mckennitt. But these songs don't make me feel black inside--it's more of a swirly blue color. They make me ponder life and the purpose of existence. Music is emotion. It is truth unhindered by words. It is love, life, pain, and existence all wrapped into something lovely. I love the quote, "Hear my song and hear my heart". I don't know who said it, but whoever it was must have pulled the words straight out of my soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment