Thursday, October 20, 2011

Reality Check

Every now and then I read an article about refugees living in Israel, or about people who single-handedly disarm landmines in foreign country sides. These people have come through crazy, tragic, and truly hard situations, and they're still fighting to keep living. I know it's pointless, but I can't help but wonder how I would come through such experiences. Would I make it, a little heart-sore and tired, but still strong? I don't know. I credit myself with being a survivor--a person who keeps going no matter what--but compared with the incredible people whose struggles I can only imagine... I don't know. Sometimes after I read these articles I review what I've seen as trials, and I kind of have to laugh at myself. Of course I made it through, of course I'm fine. My pride in being a survivor collapses in on itself. The only disaster I've managed to survive so far has been myself. No one's trying to kill me or my family and friends. No one's stealing my freedom. Maybe I would make it through civil war and brutal discrimination, but I don't know. Honestly, I hope I never have to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment